Monday, March 2, 2009

My Turn



Things got "groovey" this weekend, take a seat and I will fill you all in with the details.  After a great winter of watching and "helping" various holer endeavors, it was my turn for some engine work, I figured I would get the Norton a VJ for my birthday, new valves were ordered, and plans were made with the experts.  Ching.

Before removing the cylinder head,  I performed a leak down test at TDC, both cylinders read 2% on my homemade rig.  I noticed the left plug loaded up and looking awful shitty, and the right plug looked ok but rich.

  I commenced with the tear down.  The left cylinder has hard deposits in the valves, and I was thinking burned oil from worn guides.  No problem, until Saturday.

At the party which most people invited chose to attend, (even little D calling in at 12 30),  I was briefiing Spainiard on how  much more ass kicking the Norton will be handing him this summer. Listining politely and not arguing with the truth, he waited until I was done to enquire about the 2  89mm long grooves 20mm wide worn deeply into the Left cylinder wall.  Cha-ching

Sunday I ordered new pistons, rings, pins, CLIPS! and set the stove timer for an afternoon auction of the only 850 juggs on ebay.  

Engine out, on the bench, cleaned and ready for dis assembly.  

Inspection of Tappets and Cam continue the great news, 2 tappets look bad, and the cam is not wearing all that even, but may be runable.  Ching-Ching

Last but not least, I find out that the super top secret custom pistons I use from the 83 VT750 Shadow are no longer available.

What a great hobby, maybe I should get into turntables instead.

So I will end with the good news.  I came home to find a spare piston, that is cut for the damaged side.  

Tomorrow will be Main bearing inspection.  See you Wednesday for counseling, after 6 though as the mascot has a vet appointment.

 



No comments: