So, in the next couple of weeks (once I get paid) I hope to have a delicious harbor freight powder coating set-up. I already have the free craigslist electric kitchen oven sitting in my garage. Now I just need to get it hooked up to some juice. It is 220v, and from looking at the circuit breaker box, I am not sure if there is even any 220 wired in this house. I also only have one circuit in the garage.
Could one run an extension cord from the house, combine it with the circuit in the garage, and get 220 out of it? And if so, does anyone who knows more about electricity want to give me a hand wiring it up? What other things do I need to consider?
Once that is set up, I will be able to coat anything that fits in a kitchen oven--bike racks, forks?, stems, and motorbike parts & wheels?, etc., etc. Eventually I intended to harvest the heating elements and build my own oven enclosure thinger that would be large enough to do bicycle and motorcycle frames.
Help a brotha out, you know you've got some bits that you would love to have powder coated!
4 comments:
you need to borrow my wiring book, and until then DON'T hurt yourself,
THIS IS A BAD IDEA. I am so glad you don't live at my house. Well i guess i now understand why it is necessary to have things like building codes and inspectors...Seriously if you want to try to run one leg of 220 via an extension cord from the house to the garage you should move to a more suitable area (like a trailer park in Mississippi) actually i think that is up to code down there.
There now that we've cleared that up, I can help you figure out how to make this work. It will take more than comments on the blog. we can talk about it later.
git er done
well yeah it's a bad idea, but sometimes one has to get a little crafty! Is there ice riding going on this Sunday? Stefan, you gonna go?
Post a Comment