The only thing I could think of all day was starting the Norton. I put oil in it last night and not a drip anywhere!
I got home thinking what a great day it was going to be but I was wrong. Came home to find that Zola was feeling like shit and she could barely walk up the steps. She had that look of agony on her face that was not good. Very similar to the look you would have if you were beat by a Triumph because you had gearbox problems. Well time for a trip to the vet. $270 dollars later and no answers I had that same look.
I decided that I needed some cheering up and starting the Norton might just do it for me. While Zola calmly laid up on the deck I gave her (the Norton) a good old kick or two and she started right up! This is helping my spirits. Oh wait this thing is really smoking. It must have had some oil in the sump from last year that I never drained. The pipes were smoking too and I remembered it was that gunk degreaser that I used to clean the bike. That stuff really smokes and I was thinking if this doesn't burn off soon someone is going to call the fire department. It slowly stopped and all was well.
Time to take it around the block. I pulled in the clutch and clunked it into first and the bike killed. Huh, the clutch must be sticking a bit. Pull the clutch in again and everything seems OK. One more kick and she fired right up again. Lets try this again. Clicked it into first and this time it was better. The clutch did need some adjusting but I am only going around the block.
Time to try out that new rear break and improved front. The front was perfect with no pulsing from the rotors. The rear worked just as expected, like shit. I think the leverage ratio needs some adjusting. Oh well, better than KHK's, Snoegoer's and Sweeney's rear breaks.
Engine was nice and warm at this point and I thought lets open the throttle a bit. 19 tooth front sprocket, nice! Should have done this last year. It felt pretty good so I decided to go around the block again. Pulled the clutch in and that is when the fun started. It felt good for about a second and then no clutch at all. I first thought the cable broke but when something hit my leg I knew it was something else. The large retaining clip holding the spring back came off and the spring, clip and pressure plate all came flying out of the basket along with a few plates. Strange feeling to have a pressure plate pass you going down the road rolling right towards one of the storm drains. Well I got lucky there. After stopping and picking up all the plates, spring, and clip I made my way to the pressure plate and all was well.
Time for the walk of shame. Luckily it was mostly down hill but I still felt like a dumbass. While others are out walking their dog, I am walking my bike while my dog is laying on the deck feeling like shit. I guess I deserved all of it. Luckily nothing was wrecked on the bike and hopefully nothing serious is wrong with Zola.
3 comments:
its a good thing you didn't have a primary cover or it would have turned into a grenade.
exactly. Who in their right mind would run a cover?
Zola is doing much better today. Round two with the Norton went much better.
Post a Comment