Monday, February 16, 2009
Is this your homework Larry!?
It was about Tooth Hurty in the morning yesterday when I decided to pull the bearings from my bicycle hub. The first bearing came out with a quick tap of the hammer, but when I tried it on the second, the inner race and balls came flying out, leaving only the outer race securely pressed into the bore. Damn.
The way the bearing is seated, there is no way to just tap on the outer race, so I was in quite a predicament. Thanks to the ME tool crib I was able to secure some stainless tubing and threaded rod. I slit the tubing in four places at one end and machined a cone with a hole in the middle. The cone seated in the stainless tube and the threaded rod went through both of them. When I tightened some nuts on the threaded rod, I mushroomed the tubing into the bearing race. With one blow of the hammer the race shot out of the bore. BOOYA. Since I'm Joel Osteen, this was obviously Him smiling down on me!!!!!!!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nice! This is what happens when you leave a stranger in the woods!
Nice work. A good rod and nuts can work miracles! What else can you do with them?
Post a Comment