The first 100 miles flew by, and it had only burned a little oil, but not much. Press on for the next 100 miles, reaching a maximum velocity of 60mph, and I'm thinking I've got this one in the bag. At the next fuel stop I notice the rear wheel has a heavy coat of oil and there are several steady drips coming from under the bike. I check the oil and sure enough its down a quart, top off the gas, and the oil and its back on the road. Geez, I hope that oil stays in the motor.
Back on the road, it is clear there is a bigger problem, and every time I look down I see a little river of oil flowing off the centerstand. Naturally I keep going, figure, I just put a quart in, how fast could it come out. Using the mental slide rule, I figure a quarter inch stream flowing at a half inch per second would take about an hour to drain a quart of oil. And as long as there is oil in the bike it should keep going, right? By this point we are about 40 miles from Wausau, WI, (which is where we'll meet up with Crash a.k.a. J. Nielsen) I know he'll know what to do.
Roll into Wausau, and the bike is still running, but it's not totally happy, won't idle, but has ok power, so I start to second guess my guestimations about oil loss and pull into a Country Market grocery store. It is immediately apparent that there is a lot of oil coming out of the bike and the back half of the bike looks more like a Harely than a Honda, I think less oil came out of the Valdez. So losing almost a quart of oil in roughly 40 miles brought me to the conclusion that the bike wouldn't make the remaining 400 miles to MI. But the good news, at least its not in my garage any more!
So we meet up with Crash, he agrees with the assessment of nogo on the moto, and we're off to the bachelor party. Felt really odd leaving a bike and driving off in a car, I have never left a bike behind, even when I should. Of course this party is in MI so there are copious amounts of beer, gasoline, and fireworks involved, but no women. highlight of the evening was lighting the bonfire.
After nursing the hangovers, and regaining general sensibilities it was time for a wedding. The wedding was very nice, but seeing that there were no explosions, motorcycles, or gasoline, it is not relevant to this website, and will therefore be spoken of no more.
Leaving MI I still had that nagging feeling that there was a fallen soldier sitting in a parking lot in the middle of WI. So on the way back through, I was compelled to once again insert a motorbike into my car. We broke it down in the parking lot, amid the stares of the mouth breathers.
After a little coaxing, she was in like Flynn. So now that I've gotten the bike out of the garage and into my car, who wants to come over and help me pull my head out of my ass, and then the bike out of the car?? Anybody??
10 comments:
I'll swing in on the way home from work today for Moto Extraction from the rear... However the head and ass thing could prove to be more difficult...
Thanks for the offer Snoegoer, but I can't do it tonight. Already scheduled for sailing practice, are you busy tomorrow night?
I'll give you a call after work tomorrow to see if the bike is still crammed in the back end. If it is I could be persuaded to stop over if the Guiness is still flowing.
I'll give you a call after work tomorrow to see if the bike is still crammed in the back end. If it is I could be persuaded to stop over if the Guiness is still flowing.
I'd stop by if I was closer. AWESOME bonfire lighting... SERIOUSLY AWESOME... was that a roman candle you guys used? wtf?? smokey the bear is NOT okay with this youtube clip...
a smart holer would have told the bride her moto was sitting in a parking lot in northern wi... thereby gettin' it out of your garage and someone else's problem. but that's just what i would do.
You forgot to mention I gave it the sarcastic seal of road worthiness,
The fact that you showed the explosion before the bike in the P5 was a little misleading. I was expecting to see two huge metallic/paper air filters go flying into the air followed by some perforated machine-gun barrel looking exhaust pipes! I feel used.
I was thinking the same thing! There is always Take Two.
You European Machine Riders, always quick to want to see the Japanese machinery destroyed. Do you feel threatened by Japanese reliability and cost effectiveness?
Post a Comment